Outernet is the most innovative and far-reaching information service ever created, and Lantern makes it even more accessible. Here is a quick overview of how the system works:
1. Outernet continuously broadcasts data from space. Most of what we broadcast is decided by you. The rest is either part of our Core Archive (critical content, like educational material or disaster updates) or Sponsored Content. In every case, we tell you how the content got there. If it’s sponsored, we tell you who paid for it.
2. Lantern connects to the satellite signal. A receiver, such as Lantern, can be bought from Outernet, or we’ll show you how to build one yourself. Lantern can receive numerous types of signals from various satellites and frequencies. Lantern can be plugged into a satellite dish to receive data at an even faster rate (200 MB/day and up).
3. Connect your Wi-Fi enabled device to Lantern. Lantern’s Wi-Fi hotspot allows anyone with a computer, tablet, or phone to interact with Lantern’s content. Everything can be viewed in a browser, just like the Internet, except this is an “offline” version.
Everyone on Earth can use Lantern. See all the ways to use this versatile device and you will start to see all the ways it can change the world:
- Download news, weather, books, videos and audio for FREE
- Access to information, freedom from censorship
- Consume Internet content anonymously
- Travel with the best of the Internet wherever you go
- Create your own media archive
- Charge your phone with Lantern